Monday, October 18, 2004

Bible.org : Why I Do Not Think the King James Bible Is the Best Translation Available Today

Bible.org : Why I Do Not Think the King James Bible Is the Best Translation Available Today In my view, the more translations of the Bible that are available the better. For those of us not trained in Hebrew or Greek, comparing translations and noticing important variations directs our attention to potential ambiguities in the original languages. I take these variations as a clue that I should check out a few commentaries on the passage under consideration to see what the arguments for and against certain translations are so that I can make up my own mind which translation I think is best. However, there are some people who get pretty upset by any translation other than the King James Version (KJV). They believe that the KJV is unsurpassed in its accuracy. But is it? Daniel B Wallace has written this short article explaining why he believes the KJV is not the best translation available today. He also includes an addendum critiquing recent books 'vilifying modern translations.' The point of critiquing the KJV-only view is not to defend other translations as superior per se. Instead, it is meant to liberate us to explore the incredible richness of varying translations which aid in deepening our appreciation of God's revelation of love to humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment